May the fourth be with you and may we ALL have access to affordable life saving healthcare regardless of pre-existing conditions.
Congress votes today. PLEASE Call Mike Simpson (202) 225-5531 and Raul Labrador (202) 225-6611. Tell them to oppose this disastrous healthcare plan that will leave over 24 million Americans uninsured.
Here is why the Republican plan is a terrible idea –
- The Republican healthcare bill will deny coverage to people with pre-existing conditions.
- The Congressional Budget Office has not had time to “score” the legislation—meaning the House will vote on a bill without knowing its projected impact. A CBO review of similar legislation in March estimated it would add 24 million people to the ranks of the uninsured.
- Americans who get health care through their employer will not be spared – millions everywhere are at risk of losing protections against lifetime caps on insurance.
The bill exempts Members of Congress and their staffs from the law. If Republicans can’t stomach their own plan, how can they ask the American people to ?
- The Republican healthcare bill would mean premium hikes for common issues; over $4,000 for a person with asthma, $8,000 for someone with depression and a whopping $17,000 for a pregnancy (WITHOUT any complications).
- Even special education is on the chopping block; the Republican bill would kill Medicaid funding that enables schools to provide special education programs.
- A Little-Noticed Target in the House Health Bill: Special Education (New York Times)
- Republicans exempt their own insurance from their latest health care proposal (Vox)
- Little-Noted Provision of GOP Health Bill Could Alter Employer Plans (Wall Street Journal)
- Booker: GOP health care bill a ‘death knell’ (MSNBC)
- House Republicans Rush Vote on Healthcare Bill “Unscored” by CBO (Democracy Now)